Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Great Bloggera

Its been a month and 5 days since I entered The Great Bloggera.

Prologue
Ah that first post on the 19th October 2005 (year of the rooster). I think I started because Joe Morris had been reading peoples blogs and he said it was cool, so I read some. It wasn’t the first time I had herd of blogs, I knew Sam had one. I though I’ll just read and comment, but Jared’s blog wouldn’t let me comment without joining up, so I had to! UnnnnBelievable! By then the darkness had taken me in so I though well at least I should write one blog cause I dont want to look barren, but then it was another and another. It would have been nice if I had someone trying to get me to start one, but oh well I got lots of encouragement after I started.

Scene 1: Phantom of the Bloggera
I was reading a few retro blog posts a week or so ago, It was funny seeing the different mindsets people started off with when they first blogged. There were many similarities to how I felt and some differences. For example It seems almost everyone starts off their first blog saying something along the lines of ‘I never though it would come to this! I don’t know why I am doing this, but someone else reckons I should, but no commitment, no commitment! I might want to stop blogging and if I do I have said it now, so no commitment!’. I was never the type who had made some solemn vow to remain pure of all things blogging, but there was a part of me that wanted to resist. On my first post not wanting to commit I said “I dont know how much I will ever update this”, turns out I have about every 2-3 days, not as prolific as some (cough Abby cough) but not too bad, well that’s what an alien told me so I am happy with that. One funny thing when I started was I had this idea that I could keep my blog secrete, like have this commentary on my life and the whole world etc and have the sneaky satisfaction that I’m the only one who knows about it. Then I could also be like a phantom and just comment on other peoples blogs, and they would all be like oooooh who is the phantom with all the wisdom, and I would be like The phantom of the bloggera. And then I would find one young lass, take her under my wing and train her in the art of the bloggera, until she blossomed into the most beautiful bogger the bloggera has ever seen, then I would fall tragically in love with her. But The phantom of the bloggera is dead because I deiced there was more to gain from exposures. And you shall see my scar. At the time it wasn’t quite as dramatic as that but it was pretty much the same story. Interestingly whilst retro blogging I found my crazy idea of secrete was not so uncommon, with Carmi also expressing that she wanted to keep the publicity low in the begining, and Sam who actually never told anyone about his for like a week or so (scroll to the bottom of this, it is funny). How may phantoms are there right now? Revel thy self and thy scar!

Interlude: To be and To comment
Since the beginning the bloggera has been an experience! I have thought about my blog and spent way too much time writing these things and reading others. Grateful I am for the positive feed back through comments and just bumping into people who are like ‘I read your blog, it was funny’. The best complement was when some told me it helped them laugh when they were stressed from studying for exams all day, and they really need to laugh at that time. Yay making a difference with humor (which I sometimes forget about, see scene 2). So thanks for the support people, I’d like to think I would keep going if I never got any comments, but it definitely is one of the cool parts of blogging.

Behind the Scenes: Directors Commentary
Man it is so weird the strategies I think of when blogging, actually its kind of funny. Like how I remember thinking I have to start of with a bang! So I can get everyone’s attention, because they all have millions of other blogs and things to do. The Napoleon Dynamite story was the one for the job. By the way I went back to New World and saw him again – with witnesses Joseph Morris, Scott Cappie, and Matt Poynton. It is interesting I wonder how other people write their blogs. For me it is a longer process than I was expecting, It pretty much turns into writing an essay, and I end up proof reading it and changing things to make it sound better. I wish I could say it all came out just right but oh well you know the truth now. But sometimes I don’t proof read and its bad, sorry BibianA :). Another thing is my posts almost always take on some life of their own and are nothing like what I was planning to write about. Gosh I never knew I could be such a drama queen!

Scene 2: Tales of Trauma
Two of the worries I have had about blogging is one running out of creativity and interesting things to say, and two that how I come across on my blog is not what I am in real person. Interestingly both of these worries were identified by others, which actually annoyed me. Gosh don’t be so freakin insightful! Your face is a tall poppy! Another worry is people only thinking of me as funny, can’t you see I’m so much more? Though really it’s not so big a deal (see interlude). Oh and another worry was that I started neglecting to do lab work and procrastinating more, though I cant blame that all on the bloggera, and I have been working on it. One disappointment is a few people that I am close to not being interested enough to read my blog. But I understand cause it was never my habit to read anyone’s blog till now, still I wish they would.

Final Scene: To Blog before Heaven
Something about blogging that has surprised me is how effective it is at making me feel closer to people. It is amazing how much more a part of your lives (people with blogs) I feel because I am reading about what you are doing, thinking, feeling, fighting and hoping for! Its been really awesome and encouraging and inspiring in that respect. I also like the fact that it is keeping in contact with people who are not in Dunedin anymore. Like saying farewell to Dave P yesterday, he said ‘Im not sure when Ill see you again’ and I was like ‘oh true’ and he said ‘if not soon, it will be in heaven’, which is quite frankly a bit far off, then I realised hey I will be reading your blog, not as good as David in person but oh yes still staying connected.

Encore: A Whole New World
The bloggera is like A magic carpet ride, a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view. I am looking forward to doing a one year review 19th October 2006 (year of the dog). What wonderful lives you all are sharing with me and I with you.


 
l