Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Warbirds over Wanaka

So there was a weekend and it was two days ago. but lets make it 3, not because I want to mess with the official calendar but because I want to blog about the weekend that started on Friday and ended on Saturday. Officially the weekend is Saturday and Sunday, but hey lets break the rules. im bad you know it… etc

I went to this thing called Warbirds over Wanaka and it was sooooooooo cool. I mentioned way back on my blog that I wanted to go. But as time went by I got more and more poor and had less and less spare time to spend on such things so I had written it off. But then last week this guy called Pierre was telling me how keen he was to go and I said that I used to want to go but not so sure anymore. But then my parents said if I wanted to go that they would pay for me! That just left the problem of can I take this time off, which I decided I could. Thus I went. Also Dave Lim joined us. We left on Friday, Dave’s Mum made us sandwiches for lunch! Sweet! So we picnicked by the Clyde Dam. The day was beautifully clear and warm. On the way we listened to the Parachute 06 album, Mums Dollar, the Chilli Peppers, Brooke Fraser, and Dave Dobbin. I don’t think Pierre appreciated Dave Dobbyn as much as he should have. On arrival at Wanaka we found a nearby DOC campsite and soon discovered our tent was pollless (wow three l’s in a row) that is it had no polls! Whatever were we to do! oh nooooooooooooooo! But we took it like men, gruff, and decided to sleep in the open it wasn’t going to rain and wasn’t too cold. sorted. although Dave slept in the car.

We then ascended Mt iron which is not actually a mountain just a hill maybe 40m high. This produced some excellent views of Lake Wanaka and Hawea and the surrounding mountains and plains etc.

Wanaka from Mt Iron


It was 5.30 just enough time to dash over the road to PUZZLING WORLD, this place is cool. I most liked the wall of faces that follows you but its hard to describe you just have to see it. Well when I say most liked I mean after the maze, that’s because the maze was the most cool of all! The directions said you must get to each of the 4 towers in order and back to the start – average time 1hr to 1.5 hr. The incredible Justin did it in 40min - thank you - thank you. Probably worth mentioning is that Pierre did it in 25min. clap clap. and moving right along. It was dark and we were so hungry. To subway we drove and ate our fill, except they had no cookies and I wanted one. so then it was off to New World where we brought the source of all life along with other things for our breakfast. Then we went to the Irish Pub and watched some Ruby and I read the paper whilst Pierre and Dave got beaten at Pool 1 game to 2.

Saturday saw us eating lots of hot cross buns and waiting in the queue of cars to get into the air show. Initially we joined the queue 7km from the airport! gosh! but after a while the queue speed up and it probably took about 30 min before we were at the gates. The air show consisted mostly of WWI and II planes but there were also some later planes with jet engine technology. They also had professional aerobatics pilots one of which was the world champ. They also had pyrotechnics as they carried out a mock airfield bombing and they had guys on the ground in old school army uniforms running around and fighting the Germans, as you do. Really there is not much to say other than it was really impressive to watch. I especially liked the team stuff where they flew together in formation totally synchronised totally cool. Unfortunately my camera had battery issues so I didn’t get many good photos plus it has no zoom. So Pierre and Dave I will be scavenging some photos from you guys.

Some Planes (I think these are called Yak 52's)


On the way back to Dunedin on Saturday night we listened to Day of fire, Mums Dollar, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and the Rugby. We had Chinese in Alexandra.

The Source of all Life


 
l