Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Saturday, May 27, 2006

24 hours of a second hand book sale

Sorry about the hiatus. Busyness mostly. So what O great things do I have to divulge and share amongst the crowds that gather?

Last Friday (I know its a week ago but I really have some catching up to do) I brought 16 second hand books from the Regent 24 hour book sale, hehehehe I got a bit carried away, lucky my flatmate Dan showed up so I dumped them in his car, which saved me carrying them home on my bike. Which actually I wouldn’t have even been able to do because I locked my back-pack into the Wellcome Institute. This happened because I lostified my student ID card, which has the swipeable power needed to access the building, gosh. I lost it at the sale. Arg I stood at the door completely devoid of swiping power and thought... should I go back and look for it? – at the sale where lots of people are, or should I just get a new one and come back for my bag on Monday? The last option seemed easier cause I didnt feel like biking back to the Octagon but I got over it and went back for a hunt. I did nay find it. Two days latter this guy called Sam Benton (who no lives in a different City/Island to me not to mention universe) txt’s me to say that Thida has my ID card. Ha so cool I was quite happy about that. Turns out Thida’s flat0 mate found it in the Octagon and totally recognized my good looks. So Im stoked that someone who knew me found it I mean what are the possibilities! Plus I dont even know the guy that well but meet him last year, so lucky Thida is cool enough that he wanted to still be her flatmate this year! And Lucky Sam is cool enough that Thida has his phone number and I am cool enough that Sam has mine and your cool I guess for reading all about this. *Lucky*. It all just worked out in a web of coolness that I know and you know and together we know. Thanks god.

So 16 books I hear you marvel. Yes I respond intelligently... I mean modestly.

Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), read it in 7th form its great.
Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen), Its almost time to give Jane Austen another shot
Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak), the movie is awesome but sad at times, im scared cause it will be an emotional read.
Songs from Robert Burns, ummm he lives in the Octagon
Twelfth Night (Shakespeare), it is such a cute edition
Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare), read this in 6th form its very clever
The War Of The Worlds (H.G. Wells), classic SciFi plus it looks short, yesssssss.
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), give me a break it was only $1.50
The Romantic Poets (An Anthology), not really me but Ill give it a go
A Passage to India (E.M. Forster), sounds like an adventure - which were the staple of my childhood reading.
Vanity Fair (W.M. Thackeray), umm could be O.K.
The Voyage of the Beagle (Charles Darwin), could be interesting as a scientist, though it could also be really boring.
Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott), herd this is a real classic, looks hard to read though
To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf), ah so good have wanted to own it since I read it last year.
The Way of All Flesh (Samuel Butler), never herd of it but sounds like there might be a morale to the story... hopefully
A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens), a cool first paragraph is enough to interest me.

Heck I dont know if Im going to read them all but they were soooo cheap I just decided to buy anything that looked interesting. Most of them cost $1.50, because I went upstairs to the expensive section, these ones were all from a series of great writers and were in hard back, at a normal 2nd hand store they would cost between $6 and $12. There was a volunteer guy upstairs who was really helpful I told him I was looking for literature and he just kept searching up and down the isle and bringing me books! I think the girl beside me was jealous of my Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. A few of the others I got were 50c which is what most of the books at the sale cost. Such a bargain. Even if I dont read all of them at least our flat book shelf looks super impressive now.


 
l