Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Well cool yeah

It was the best of times... I mean it was well cool yeah! Which is the English way of saying really really cool. You see My Mum is from a city called Colchester in England and all her side of the family still live in England so I have like infinity cousins over there only two of which I have ever meet – Emily who visited with her mum about 5 years ago when I was still living in Hamilton, and her older sister Amanda who stayed a couple of nights with us when I flatted on Castle st. This time Emily came to NZ as part of her Masters to do a placement at the New Zealand film archive in Wellington. Then she came to Dunedin just to see me :) awww... and to have a good time. Which I think we had. We did some of the standard Dunedin stuff like Baldwin street (which incase you don’t know is like the steepest in the world), Otago and Settlers museums, Signal hill, Mt Cargill, St Kilda/St Clair beach, shopping and the peninsular, amongst some other things.

Man I love the peninsular, it just gets better every time. The group for our big peninsular adventure was Me and Emily, my flatmate Kirsten and Kirsten’s little red car. We went right to the end where the Albatross place is. We didnt go on the tour but when we were mucking around near the car park a Albatross flew right over our heads (for free!) and then swooped back round for a second pass, it was awesome! I have never seen them that close before. Its wing span was huge. There were a couple of seagulls nearby that were pretending to be Albatros’s. Our theory was that the seagulls like to hang out there because they get more attention when people mistake them for Albatross’s. We were not fooled. We then had hot chocolate at the cafe and discovered that Emily (who is a vegetarian) cant eat marshmallows because they have gelatin in them – which is made form animals. So lucky me I got her marshmallows – whilst this was not the highlight of the trip it was a very joyous occasion – and it was to be repeated a couple of days later at another cafe. It’s strange to think that when eating marshmallows you are eating part of an animal, I mean its just not as obvious as chicken or mince beef. But I guess even then you dont think about the animals cause its not shaped like an animal, you dont sit there and think I wonder if this chicken had large talons??? But umm thats of topic. Oh and now that I think about it you can buy chicken that still resembles a chicken.

We then went to the infamous Sandfly bay which none of us had been to before. This is the place to go to see Penguins... supposedly, I mean I was really a bit skeptical. Its just that penguins are not the sort of thing you see that often, or ever. So I was just getting my self emotionally prepared for the possibility that the penguins might rather swim that day than come onto the beach. Its about a 30 min walk to a little hut at the end of the beach where you are supposed to hid and spy on incoming penguins. Now even if we saw nothing it was a beautiful walk along the beach, it was overcast and moody and the waves were so wild... I actually feelt like jumping in for a swim but I had no togs or towel. Before we got to the hut we encountered 3 sealions just chilling out on the sand. Sealions are bold and boisterous, rare and beautiful. One of them roared at us. From the Hut we actually saw two penguins... that were climbing/jumping up the side of a hill! It was crazy I dont know where they were going. I would have liked to have gone up to see them a bit closer but its about respect and we didnt want to annoy them. On the way back we saw two more penguins one of which did a run and dive back into the sea which was awesome cause they run so cutely! Kind of like a waddle :) Im totally going back to Sandfly bay in the future and I hear there is another great bay near buy. Still so much to discover.

Other highlights of Emilies vist including getting to show her what a modern church service is like (that’s Elim baby!). Dinner at Filadelfio's and a roast we had a home with some other pep's (on seperate nights). Oh and we watched Napoleon Dynamite together and The Brady Bunch movie... and the third Brady Bunch Movie! Which was actually a bit bellow average cause they didnt have the same cast as the original two. But it was cool to watch it with her cause both her and my family were crazy about it when we were kids and I mean I still rate them pretty highly.
OH my nose! Now I’ll never be a teen model what’s the point in living I might as well die!!! Marsha Marsha Marsha! Hey there groovy chick... your happening in a far-out kinda way ;) and oh so many many more great scenes/quotes its just classic! Dont even try to deny it.

Yeah had an awesome few days with Emily and the people that joined us for various things. Its funny to think it was only the second time i’d ever met her and we get on so well. Im sure we will have more great times in the future as we both do some travel!

Ok so random fact about Emily... her boyfriend has painted 3 larger than life size paintings of her that were recently on display in a London Gallery. How cool is that.

Well cool I'd say!


 
l