Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Monday, December 19, 2005

FridaySaturdaySunday

I got “tagged”
which means according to unavoidable laws of the universe I must confess 5 weird habits. But I don’t have any weird habits, all my habits are just normal to me. So I asked some flatmates and lab mates and came up with some.

1) I say weird things – supposedly that’s a habit
2) I shake my leg when im sitting down – other people do this but supposedly not as much or as vigorously as me.
3) I flush my dental floss down the toilet
4) I text my brother all my random thoughts and about random things I happen to come across in daily life
5) I recognise a Michael Jackson song in 1 second, and I am happy again

oh man I just feel like there is so much I have not blogged about. I have had such a great weekend. It has been the first weekend in as long as I can remember that I have done no lab work. So catch up mode.

Friday
I had a great meeting with my supervisor; I love having one on one meetings with her because I always feel leaving so much better about my research! Then we had Microbiology Christmas BBQ in which I won a Man’s Holdall i.e. a toiletries bag, yay! Then I played Risk with 3 other lab mates, on the floor in the lab. None of them knew how to play, I thrashed. Watched ‘Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind’ such a cool movie, and ‘Charlotte Grey’ an OK movie.

Saturday
Was very interesting. I finished the stunning ‘To the Lighthouse’ by Virginia Woolf, which I borrowed from the gumtree lady, this book is thrilling and not because of the plot. It was so beautiful, a joy to read. The first half of the day was pretty standard and pretty good. Then at 3pm everything changed. I was helping a friend move flats and there was like 15 of us helping move stuff. so I was going to leave cause I mean they could handle it. But was awesome cause I didn’t leave and I ended up hanging out with a whole bunch of people I hardly knew and having a great time. box + bed relocating, BBQ, beach, dessert, great conversation. It was funny cause we all thought that everyone else knew each other, but turned out that nobody really knew more than 3 people, except the link which was Kylie who invited us all. I learnt a lot from this day.

Sunday
Well Sunday. the children in our church are sooo cool. yeah they did a massive dance for us and they got some adults on stage to dance too, including pastors, which was highly entertaining. Picnic on the grass behind Royal tce, in the Sun. bumped into one of the guys I just meet on Saturday so invited him along. ah summer time. helped Joface finish off cleaning the Royal tce flats. The highlight of which was the guys freezer. There was Ice and lots of it, mostly stuck to the roof. Instead of just waiting for it to melt I set about devising strategies to speed the process along. These included, boiling water in a pan which produced steam, but really wasn’t that successful. dipping my scrapper in boiling water, using an iron to melt it away and placing a 5 fin oil heater inside the freezer. I had even grader ideas but apparently these were not feasible. just giving it some time proved the best solution.

And ya know I was thinking later that evening, deep thoughts. What that freezer and that ice represents, to me to you, to cutting edge and more. I mean That Ice its like the rings that show the age of a tree. That ice is a relic of years gone by, of memories of friends of peoples lives, of the privilege I have had of sharing in those lives, those lives so intimately connected to that Ice that freezer, 3 years of ice. That Ice is gone, changed, it has moved on, its not ice anymore its liquid now, its different, free, spread out, maybe it will find its self again, but it will never again be that same unique accumulation of water as ice in that freezer. And so I was, there, at its end at its transition. That freezer will go on and more ice will come and more lives will be shared, and it will probably be cleaned more often.


 
l