Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Later than initially necessary

Yesterday
JUSTIN! She yells.
What! He replies
I’m so tired because of you! Because you locked the keys in the car!
Im tired too, if it makes you feel better he replies.

Bum bum ba ba ba bum bum ba ba ba

The day before yesterday
We got back to Dunedin at 11.30ish pm, about an hour and a half later than initially necessary. Initially I hadn’t locked the keys in the car. Initially we were on our way back from tramping on the west coast, stopping to enjoying ourselves on the shores of lake Wanaka, swimming in the beautiful water out out, out towards the view of mountains, and back back, back towards shore, hills and warmth. I love to swim, the water was cold but refreshing and not as cold as I thought it would be, we were use to it in a couple of minutes, it was awesome. But then back at the car I realised I had left the keys in my pockets and my pockets were in my pants which I had left inside the car which I locked. Almost everything was in the car, wallets, cell phones, clothes, and gosh... keys!

We waved down a car, asked them to call AA for us, they offered to take one of us to Wanaka township 30 minutes drive away where the AA would be. I offered to go because It was my fault and because I was the only man. Not that I had anything to prove, well actually I had a lot to make up for. Anyway Nicola (the driver, the owner of the car the AA member, and the all round lovely person) should have gone because I didnt know enough about Nicola to convince the AA 0800 call center people to send someone to help us. They gave me the number of a contractor and said we might be able to apply for reimbursement later. The contractor said we were too far out of his area, what he meant was he just wanted a holiday (it being Waitangi day - a public holiday). He gave me another contractors phone number, which was a cell phone number, up till now I had been using the phone at Caltex petrol station in Wanaka, they didnt like the idea of me making a cellphone call. There I was looking all ridiculous, bare footed, wearing a Tshirt and still in my swimming toggs whilst holding my towl...

But thats gonna cost US they said
The mangagers are going to make US pay they said
How do we know how long you will talk for
How do we know you will pay us back
How did you do it
That was pretty stupid wasnt it
What are you going to do?
Cant you jimmy it?
What sort of car is it?
I dont know how, Im not a car person I said
What kind of a New Zealander doesn’t know how to jimmy a car they said!
you will have to hitch a ride back
Can I use one of your cellphones I asked
But thats gonna cost US too! They said
You can go over the road to the pay phone
I have no money, its in the car
You cant come to Wanaka without any money mate, they said!

Ok Ill just ask someone else (what the heck is wrong with you people!)
Caltex in Wanaka you make me so mad even though I was being nice to you. mmmmarrrrrrrrrggggg!

Some British tourists let me use their cell phone, and then I got told off by the Caltex staff
WHAT ARE YOU DOING! YOU CANT USE A CELL PHONE HERE, YOU’LL BLOW US ALL UP!

Anyway this contractor was the greatest, he came picked me up no hassles and I told him I didnt have all of Nicolas membership details but he sorted it all out. Ya know that’s what its all about isnt it! Thats what the AA are there for, we were a customer in trouble they were supposed to try help us, which is what this guy did and the help line people didnt. Arggg. He was a crack up I was laughing the whole way back to the car he just said crazy things. Like he was hassling me saying I must be popular because I was with three girls! Ha : ) and then he was saying that I did it all on purpose, locking the keys in just so I could come to the rescue! Then he said I would have to tell Nicola that I would make it all up to her in a “special way” and that she could choose that “special way” and that I was to tell her this when she was alone! I did tell her just for fun, but not when we were alone. I brought the girls real fruit ice cream in Cromwell, cost me $12 which I calculated to be about $1 per 8 minutes of waiting I put them through. Not a lot, just a way to say sorry. They took it quite well, they decided to make a joke of it all and pretended (I think) to be really annoyed and kept hassling me, which was supposed to be a better way of making me feel better than providing sympathy.

Back to Dunedin, a bit latter than anyone wanted, but a great time, I really laughed so much on that trip back, maybe I was just trying to feel better. The whole Wanaka Caltex thing has stuck with me a bit since, just thinking why did those people act so uncaring, and feeling a bit sorry for them and their negative view of the world and others. Though maybe we are just lucky to have people like the family that I hitched a ride with. Its a hard world out there, people are out for themselves and whats in it for them watching what it’s gonna cost them. Also it could have been worse, what if the second AA guy did want to help either, what would I have done? Thank god (and I did) it worked out, and I have learnt a lot, especially only lock the door with the actual key.

P.S It took him about 10 seconds to break in. All that waiting and all that hassle and only 10 seconds.


 
l