Justin. It's short for - The Incredible Justin

Thursday, June 22, 2006

CMOS, pronounced – see moss

I fixed up my laptop real good and I can do other stuff real good to. You see there was this major annoyance problemO where I would hit the power button on my laptoppy O and leave it to turn on O just to have it say heck NO. It would complain that I had not set the date and time correctly, even though I totally had set it proper and good. But all I had to do was hit F1 and the computer started up... but then Windows would jump on board and stop the start up again and be all like Hey you didn’t set the date and time correctly, then it would have the little OK button. Yes OK, freakin OK! I would just hit enter and it would carry on normally. The clock in the bottom right corner (such a good place for a clock to be) would be totally in another year and just all wrong, as much as I tried to help it, it never remember what the time actually was.

After extensive investigation the problem was diagnosed as a flat CMOS battery. Yeah like what the heck is that. Well I’ll tell you it is very important for remembering the time whilst your computer is powered off. Thus began the quest of battery replacement. Many dragons were slain along the way – metaphorically. John Eldridge would have be proud of such an adventure to live and such a beauty to rescue (that’s my laptop baby!). Especially when I found the true heart of the computer, which was the wounded and neglected CMOS battery. The journey into the heart was more difficult than initially expected. All screws were removed and yet they beauty held its self together, afraid to let me inside. Not knowing what to do I turned to the world (wide web) for answers. I came across photos and descriptions of how to dismantle a laptop, I came a across numerous warnings of the dangers, all of this helped but still it was not enough. Still I had no specifics on my exact model. My beauty – Compaq Presario 1400 (14XL343 to be precise). Who would fight for its heart if not I? Who would mend its wound? The world (wide web) didn’t have the answers. I turned to the maker, I hooked up with an online technician through the Compaq web site his name was Shawn and he showed me the written word, the pdf manual for my exact model, full of diagrams and instructions on how to get not just to the heart but to everything. I was so grateful. My search for answers had be satisfied. Now it was time to do it. I unscrewed the screws and pulled the correct bits off, I found the battery, silver and shiny. I wrote its name down and brought a new one from Dick Smiths for $10. I took out the old and put in the new. All the while being careful to ground my self by touching a large metal object, very important in avoiding electrostatic discharge which is basically the devil at work. My beauty now has new life, no longer does it stop and stall during start up, it sails plain through. Now it knows the truth, that its 12.07 am on the 22nd June 2006, that truth and that new heart have set it free.

The journey did not stop there friend, oh no not at all! So many greater things were in store! It was really just the beginning to the life this Compaq Presario 1400 was always made for. There are 5 purposes... just kidding, I wont go there. I will finish with a to be continued. So tune in next time folks... will Justin’s beauty really be able to live out of its new heart? What about its old and slow ways of thinking? What more perils await our intrepid computer fixer as he shapes his machine into the greatest thesis witting beast of all time?!


 
l